About Services

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada. If successful, the sponsored person obtains permanent resident status, allowing the couple (or family, if applicable) to build their lives in Canada.


To be eligible, the person seeking sponsorship must be a:

  • Spouse, common-law or conjugal partner

  • Dependent child

  • Parent

  • Grandparent

  • Sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild under 18 years who is unmarried and whose parents are deceased


In addition to being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, the sponsor must also fulfill a few other requirements to be eligible.There are two main aspects to sponsorship:


1) It allows your family member to immigrate to Canada and get permanent residence (PR).

2) It requires you, as an individual, to make a commitment to provide for basic needs and to support that person financially.



You can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada as long as you’re eligible.

You have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after you get your

  • degree or diploma

  • transcript or

  • official letter from your school

To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

Don’t let your status expire while you wait for your marks

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can

  • Apply for a visitor record to stay in Canada longer or

  • leave Canada and apply for your PGWP

If you stay in Canada and let your permit expire, you must apply to restore your status as a student to apply for your PGWP. To restore your status, you must pay additional fees.

You can apply for a PGWP if-

  • your study permit has been valid within the last 180 days

  • you have a valid visitor record

  • you submitted an application to extend your study permit before it expired and no decision has been made on your application

  • you submitted an application to change your status to visitor before your study permit expired and no decision has been made on your application

You must also have

  • completed a study program

    • at a designated institute 

    • that was at least 8 months long and

    • that led to a degree, diploma or certificate

  • maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program

    • This doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies.

    • If you had to stop studying or change to part-time studies between March 2020 and the fall semester in 2020 because of reasons related to COVID-19, you may still be eligible for a PGWP.

  • graduated from one of the following:

    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)

    • a private post-secondary school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec

    • a private secondary or post-secondary school in Quebec that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer that lead to a Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP—vocational studies diploma), or an Attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP—vocational studies accreditation)

      • An ASP can be less than 900 hours if combined with a DEP.

    • a Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree), but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province.


Quick Enquiry